28.4.08

Fun and controversy in the classroom

Well, we've got almost a day under our belt at an ASIS Workshop and I'm happy to see the group "gelling" quite nicely. What makes for a successful workshop? I really don't fully understand the dynamic since there are so many variables, but I know that...
  • if you've got great talent in speakers, it's going to be worth it; worth it, that is if you like as Severin once told me, "it's like herding cats"

  • everyone has a different reason for going to the class and not everyone will be satisfied

Ben came through with a couple of great speakers, one of which sounded exactly like David Letterman - an excellent bonus. We should have had a session where we have "David" at his desk and one of the speakers as a guest on the couch. I must find someone who will let me do this.

Yes, you cannot please everyone; right after the required and perfectly executed chocolat chip cookie break (thanks Becky), I had someone complain to me that I should not have had the classes go to 5PM as all the stores in town are closed after hours.

It was so great seeing Dave and Leslie, those two lovebirds from San Francisco; Dave carried a good "managing" load of subjects in this workshop. Charlie boy had his usual rip-roaring form of entertainment, while Severin provided the backbone of the seminar with a very excellent metrics presentation. I could not continue the "shout-outs" without recognizing Jeff's hard work, our Practitioner Professionals, Jim, Jose and Ed (Special Ed here on the boards). Shaun Pal gave us quite a nice overview on standards. Above all and the man who was there for me throughout this whole ordeal, was Phill who untiringly both emceed and taught many sessions. I will never forget our fireside chats with a few entertaining students and his lovely wife Sandra. West coasters know how to live!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

My, my, holding classes until 5pm -- do you think people attend conferences to learn something? (Good for you, at least at your sessions people get solid content...) And, yes, do a Letterman-styled speaker interview, it could be a podcast created at the close of the conference. Don't forget to include a scene of herding cats...